When non-Christians point out all contradictions and idiocies in the bible, Christians usually respond by claiming that they only believe in the core of the religion: things like the 10 commandments. However, the core stuff is just as asinine as the rest!
Christian mythology indicates that the 10 Commandments are the direct words of God. I call bullshit. If an all-powerful, omniscient supreme being wrote the definitive, eternal code of morality, it would have done a better job! Here is a concise list of the ten commandments (see here for more details):
1. You shall have no other gods before me
2. You shall not make for yourself an idol
3. You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God
4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
5. Honor your Father and Mother
6. You shall not murder
7. You shall not commit adultery
8. You shall not steal
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
10. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house, wife, slave, etc.
What these yahoos are telling me is that God thought to include ‘don’t work on Sunday’ but left out rape, assault, molestation and torture? If I wrote the Commandments, they would go something like this:
1. You shall not cause violence to a person, ever, except to defend yourself or another against an immediate, direct physical attack from that person.
2. You shall not torture… anyone… ever
3. You shall not rape, molest or harass
4. You shall not have slaves, serfs, or indentured workers
5. You shall protect the Earth and all its creatures, such that no species is made extinct, directly or indirectly, by humanity
6. You shall not discriminate against a person for things over which he or she has no control, with only such limitations as are inherent to specific activities (e.g., blind people can’t drive).
7. You shall not put your own interests ahead of humanity’s; you shall not accrue wealth by hurting others
8. You shall take responsibility for your actions and your lack of action
9. You shall respect freedom of thought; you shall not push your ideas upon others
10. You shall think critically about ideas and
except accept nothing as dogma, including this list
Just ask yourself for a minute, which is the better list? I’m not saying that my list is perfect, but if my list is better then your God’s list, then either your God does not exist, or he did not write ‘his list’.